Oscar Voter Stephen King Criticized for Saying He Doesn’t Consider Diversity in Art

IndieWire | 1/14/2020 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/shutterstock_editorial_9689901an.jpg

Stephen King is at the center of backlash after discussing on social media how he goes about voting for the Academy Awards. The horror author is a member of the Academy’s writing branch and therefore is permitted to vote for nominations in three categories: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Screenplay. The Academy has been widely criticized this week for its predominantly white 2020 Oscar nominations. King shared on Twitter a day after the Oscar noms were announced that he selects nominees based on quality and not diversity.

“For me, the diversity issue — as it applies to individual actors and directors, anyway — did not come up,” King wrote. “That said, I would never consider diversity in matters of art. Only quality. It seems to me that to do otherwise would be wrong.”

Comments - Filmmaker - Ava - DuVernay - Director

King’s comments were widely criticized, most notably by “When They See Us” filmmaker Ava DuVernay. The director, who was famously snubbed in the Best Director category for “Selma” in 2015 despite the film garnering a Best Picture nomination, called King’s opinion “backward and ignorant.”

“When you wake up, meditate, stretch, reach for your phone to check on the world and see a tweet from someone you admire that is so backward...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Trump - Just saying what the rest won't