'I’m a freegan – I get food from bins, foraging or my garden'

the Guardian | 1/14/2020 | Abby Young-Powell
magiccastlemagiccastle (Posted by) Level 4
I’m an enthusiastic green activist and I earn very little so I can live a low-carbon lifestyle. That’s the way I like it; I don’t want much money, because people who earn a lot have a high carbon footprint. This green lifestyle saves my family about £10,000 a year on utilities, food and travel compared to the average family of four. But that’s not the reason I do it.

I’m proud to make between £3,000 and £4,000 a year gigging as a children’s entertainer called Professor Fiddlesticks, riding a unicycle and juggling. I also give talks on climate change and other green subjects, plus I sell compost, do gardening and bike trailer removals, which adds up to about £2,000 a year.

Wife - Gill - Time - Carer - Adult

I live with my wife, Gill, who works full time as an unpaid carer, and two adult children. We bought our house outright after Gill’s mother died, with help from my dad. As a family, we get a working tax credit of £367 a month.

I’m a freegan, which means I get food from bins, from foraging, or from my garden. I’m largely vegan, but eat dairy if I find it thrown away. The most unexpected thing I found in a bin was a bottle of champagne. I buy unsold fruit and veg for a penny a bag from a local food shop and get four loaves of yesterday’s bread for £1 from the local bakers.

£100 - Week - Basics - Rice - Pasta

We spend about £100 a week on basics such as rice and pasta. I occasionally have a coffee or pint out, but we never go to restaurants or get takeaways.

I’m frugal with water. We only pay about £280 a year for it. In the bathroom our rule is “if it’s yellow, let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down,” and I also have a compost toilet...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!
To despair is to turn your back on God, you can never despair.