The Gundrys and Me: Ruth Tucker

Jesus Creed | 1/13/2020 | Staff
adele2234adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2020/01/Screen-Shot-2020-01-09-at-12.44.17-PM-300x159.png

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2020/01/Screen-Shot-2020-01-09-at-12.44.30-PM.png

Stan and Pat Smith Gundry. Where would my life be today without them? This little series began with A. B. Simpson, founder of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. Last week, I continued with Elisabeth Elliot’s influence on my life. Like Simpson and Elliot, Stan and Pat have left very large footprints on the evangelical world and on my life in particular. Where would I be today had Pat not written Woman Be Free! and had Stan not been fired from Moody Bible Institute? Forced to leave his teaching position in Chicago, he would spend the next decades at Zondervan Publishing House in Grand Rapids, and that is where I first encountered him.

In last week’s post I recalled how I was flying by the seat of my pants developing college-level courses on subjects I didn’t know anything about. But I successfully turned a History of Missions course away from mind-numbing facts into a biographical history. It made the subject matter interesting and stirred up class discussion. After teaching it a second year, I put together a proposal and sent it to Stan at Zondervan. I told him that, having taught the course for years (I didn’t say it was only two), I had discovered that it was best taught through biography. He got back to me confessing that History of Missions had been the most boring course he had taken in seminary and that he would be interested in seeing chapters—chapters that would become my text, From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya.

Stan - Editor - Mark - Hunt - Stan

Stan passed me on to a good editor, Mark Hunt, and through him (with Stan’s encouragement), I was connected with Walt Kaiser, academic dean at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, where I would teach part-time for seventeen years, flying back and forth from Grand Rapids. It was there where I became acquainted...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: