Here's Why Russell Hornsby Didn't Consult Denzel Washington for Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector

TVGuide.com | 1/10/2020 | Mekeisha Madden Toby
marikamarika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2020/01/09/4acc6334-4b66-4caf-b2bf-acd77ba23c0e/thumbnail/1300x867/489403a70eb1522b53667fd40f04baba/lincoln-rhyme-hunt-for-the-bone-collector.jpg

Russell Hornsby is very familiar with the 1999 movie The Bone Collector. Its pedigree, featuring Academy Award-winning actors Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie, is one of the reasons Hornsby wanted to be a part of Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt For the Bone Collector, premiering Friday at 8/7c on NBC. The new series shares its source material with the 1999 thriller: Both are based on Jeffrey Deaver's 1997 novel The Bone Collector.

But Hornbsy, who co-starred with Washington in 2016's Fences, chose not to seek out Washington's advice when it came to time to put his spin on the character of Det. Lincoln Rhyme, a quadriplegic forensics expert who was paralyzed while pursuing the serial killer known as the Bone Collector.

School - Boston - University - Conservatory - Alum

"You know what, I'm old school," the Boston University acting conservatory alum told TV Guide during a recent phone interview. "I was raised by old-school cats, and I come from a school where it's like Nike — just do it. I was never inclined to call Denzel or reach out, nor did he reach out to me. And I don't say that in a bad way. I really believe Denzel is like, 'Hey brother. It's yours. You go do it.' And I took it like, 'Hey, it's mine. I'm going to go do it.'"

Discover your new favorite show: Watch This Now!

Anything - Standpoint - Anything - Hornsby - Role

"I don't believe there's anything that he could tell me from his standpoint or anything that I would want to hear from him," Hornsby said. "I say this respectfully. This is a different role on a different medium, and I think he would feel the same way. Old-school cats didn't suffer fools when I was coming up. There's no hand holding. When I was working in theater with cats who were 20 years my senior, they were like, 'Hope you're paying attention. There...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!