‘Three Christs’: Richard Gere, Julianna Margulies Help Shine Light on Mental Illness

Variety | 1/10/2020 | Mackenzie Nichols
marikamarika (Posted by) Level 3

In the 1950s, paranoid schizophrenics and others with mental afflictions were treated much more harshly by today’s standards, often being locked away in institutions and subjected to electroshock and other debilitating treatments.

In the film “Three Christs,” Richard Gere plays Dr. Alan Stone, a character based on real life social psychologist Milton Rokeach who during that time championed a more humane and empathetic approach to treatment.

Thing - Interests - Illness - Create - Community

“The thing that interests me is not the mental illness, it’s actually ‘How does one create community? How do we trust each other?’ That seems to be the crux of [Rokeach’s] approach which was ‘I’m not gonna warehouse these guys,'” Gere said on Thursday at the “Three Christs” premiere in New York, adding that the doctor refused to let patients undergo dangerous practices. Instead, he listened to and observed and approached the patients with a compassionate eye.

“For me, it was finding this thing of being professional and vulnerable at the same time.”

Picard - Patrick - Stewart - Variety - Cover

Jean-Luc Picard himself, Patrick Stewart, talked to Variety during his cover shoot about returning to the world of "Star Trek" in the upcoming series "Star Trek: Picard" and why he insisted on having a pit bull in the new show.

Adapted from Rokeach’s 1964 book “The Three Christs of Ypsilanti” co-writer and director Jon Avnet’s (“Fried Green Tomatoes,” “Justified”) “Three Christs” follows Dr. Stone’s study of three paranoid schizophrenics who all share the same delusion that they’re Jesus Christ. Stone removes the three men (played by Peter Dinklage, Walton Goggins and Bradley Whitford) from their psych ward rooms and into a space together in hopes that the sense of community and common empathy will cure their afflictions.

Avnet - Variety - Film - Light - Humanity

Avnet told Variety that he wants his film to shed light on the humanity of those grappling with mental illnesses instead of treating them like...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!