J.J. Abrams Rejects Idea That ‘Rise of Skywalker’ Is Trying to Undo ‘The Last Jedi’

IndieWire | 12/22/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/rise-skywalker-ending.jpg

“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” opened on December 20 to divided reviews, fervent fandom, and everything in between. But one issue that’s been top of mind for many fans is whether or not director J.J. Abrams’ “The Rise of Skywalker” is trying to right the perceived wrongs of Rian Johnson’s “The Last Jedi” from 2017. The latter film is the one that you like if you’re not a huge “Star Wars” fan to begin with, and if you are? Well, some fans were not pleased with director Johnson’s flourishes within the “Star Wars” universe.

The 6 Biggest Spoilers in 'The Rise of Skywalker' and What they Mean for the Future of 'Star Wars'

Terms - Star - Wars - Universe - Decades

In terms of tackling the “Star Wars” universe, which has sprawled for more than four decades and with countless iterations across film, television, literature, and video games, Abrams said that there’s no pleasing everyone. “I was asked just seven hours ago in another country, ‘So how do you go about pleasing everyone?’ I was like’ What…?’ Not to say that that’s what anyone should try to do anyway, but how would one go about it? Especially with Star Wars,” he said. “We knew starting this that any decision we made — a design decision, a musical decision, a narrative decision — would please someone and infuriate someone else,” Abrams said. “And they’re all right.”

Regarding any mixed reactions to his movie, Abrams said, “There is an MO of either: ‘It’s exactly as I see it,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!