Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker has a big LGBTQ moment

CNET | 12/21/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/qCBBHMeL3RtI5BYd0ENcc-fj2ZE=/2019/08/24/dfa334c6-738a-4094-9cc8-5bd675181e25/ecwe-nmu0aaqbms-1.jpg

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker includes not just action-packed duels and space battles, but also a romantic moment between two female characters.

When I watched the original Star Wars films as a young girl in the '70s and '80s, I not only wanted to be Princess Leia (or maybe even Carrie Fisher). I wanted to date her. I didn't know I would identify as bisexual until many years later, but that girl crush on Leia grabbed me from the get-go. Sadly, Leia only had eyes for Han Solo.

Star - Wars - Fan - Time - Movie

I've been a Star Wars fan from the time I saw the first movie at a drive-in theater four decades ago. As a kid I twisted my long hair into Princess Leia buns and acted out Star Wars scenes on the school playground. I ended up working for Lucasfilm as an adult, which was a dream come true. Needless to say, my Star Wars fandom runs deep.

So this week, watching Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, I cheered aloud in a crowded theater when I saw two women kiss passionately on screen.

Kiss - Background - Character - Commander - Larma

For those who might have missed it, the kiss happens in the background between the character Commander Larma D'Acy (played by Amanda Lawrence) and a female Resistance pilot. The smooch takes place at the end of the movie and goes by in a blink, but it was a big deal to me.

Still, while the kiss was a great and welcome surprise, it should only be considered a positive first step. I wish the movie had at least one LGBTQ main character, and not just two minor characters sharing a three-second kiss. But I remain hopeful.

Everyone - Kiss

Sadly, not everyone is as excited about the kiss as I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.