Ruth Wilson Left ‘The Affair’ After Showrunner Tried to ‘Cajole Actors to Get Naked’ for Gratuitous Sex Scenes (Report)

TheWrap | 12/18/2019 | Margeaux Sippell
Click For Photo: https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ruth-wilson.jpg

Ruth Wilson left Showtime’s Emmy-nominated drama “The Affair” in 2018 without an explanation. Now, the reasons for her departure are coming to light — along with an internal investigation conducted by CBS in 2017.

Though Wilson herself is under an NDA — she told the New York Times in 2018 that she’s “not really allowed to talk about it” — a story published by The Hollywood Reporter Wednesday paints a picture of the “toxic” and “hostile” work environment that reportedly lead to her exit, according to several anonymous sources close to the show’s production.

Showrunner - Sarah - Treem - Source - Tension

Showrunner Sarah Treem was the main source of tension for Wilson, according to THR, whose sources say Treem coaxed the actress into showing more nudity and performing more graphic sex scenes than necessary for the sake of creating a “titillating” scene.

“Over and over again, I witnessed Sarah Treem try to cajole actors to get naked even if they were uncomfortable or not contractually obligated to,” one source said.

Treem - Reps - TheWrap - Request - Comment

Treem’s reps did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment Wendesday, but in a statement to THR, Treem denied the accusations.

“I have devoted my entire professional life to writing about and speaking to women’s issues, women’s causes, women’s empowerment and creating strong, complex roles for women in theater and in Hollywood, on- and offscreen,” Treem said. “The reason I even created ‘The Affair’ was to illuminate how the female experience of moving through the world is so different from the male one, it’s like speaking a second language. The idea that I would ever cultivate an unsafe environment or harass a woman on one of my shows is utterly ridiculous and lacks a grounding in reality.”

Wilson - Exit - Opportunity - Show - Way

Wilson’s exit opportunity from the show came about by way of “Girls” team Jenni Konner and Lena Dunham. In a blog post written for their...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TheWrap
Wake Up To Breaking News!