Ruth Wilson Reportedly Left The Affair Over 'Toxic' Environment, Pressure to Do Nude Scenes

TVGuide.com | 12/18/2019 | Amanda Bell
dewbydewby (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2018/08/16/0a5b10ae-cadf-42a9-bdcf-d79c1207126b/thumbnail/1300x867/c4e50fb3280d656a74cad392da45550b/180816-the-affair.jpg

Ruth Wilson's unexpected departure from The Affair in 2018 was a shock to fans of the critically acclaimed Showtime drama. In interviews, Wilson publicly denied reports that her exit had anything to do with a pay dispute, insisting that she was "not allowed" to talk about the real reason she had left the series. Now, more than a year after her split from the show, The Hollywood Reporter has released a lengthy report that suggests a "toxic" environment and pressure to do nude scenes led Wilson to walk away from her Golden Globe-winning role.

According to multiple sources with information on Wilson's exit, the actress was disturbed by the amount of nudity that was required of her, says The Hollywood Reporter. The sources also alleged that there was "friction" between Wilson and The Affair's creator and showrunner, Sarah Treem, over the direction of Wilson's character, Alison Bailey. The actress reportedly raised a complaint with Showtime in 2017 over what she considered to be a "hostile work environment."

Statement - THR - Treem - Show - Stars

In a statement to THR, Treem denied coaxing the show's stars into filming nude scenes. "That's not who I am. I am not a manipulative person, and I've always been a feminist," she said, adding that she "did everything I could think of to make [Wilson] feel comfortable with these scenes." Treem told THR, "The reason I even created The Affair was to illuminate how the female experience of moving through the world is so different from the male one, it's like speaking a second language. The idea that I would ever cultivate an unsafe environment or harass a woman on one of my shows is utterly ridiculous and lacks a grounding in reality."

The report also details a 2016 incident in which Jeffrey Reiner, an executive producer and regular director of The Affair, allegedly asked...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The only change you ever get from the goverment is what's in your pocket, and worth less every day.