SERMON NOTES: December, Depression, and a Lot of Hope (A Christmas Message)

Brandon Cox | 12/15/2019 | Staff
marikamarika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://brandonacox.com/wp-content/uploads/1.jpg

Depression isn’t sin, but it can certainly keep us from staying close to God if we don’t have his power and his wisdom for fighting it. Thankfully the Bible has a lot to say about how to hang onto hope when your soul is down.

December is a “happy” month. It’s filled with songs, parties, messages of joy, etc. We’re all supposed to be happy.

But we’re not.

About 10% of Americans struggle with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). We’re getting less sunlight because the days are shorter and we’re inside more. It’s a hard time of year when it comes to family and finances and pain. We’re also surrounded with consumerism and the message that we don’t have enough.

Struggle - Depression

The struggle is real. Depression is real.

And God’s word has a lot to say about how to hang onto hope in the middle of it.

Depression - Discouragement - Discouragement - Choice - Fear

Depression and discouragement are different. Discouragement is the choice to give into fear and negative thinking. Depression is a condition of the heart, mind, and soul that can be brought on by circumstances or physical causes.

Discouragement is disobedience to the command, “Do not be discouraged,” which is repeated throughout scripture.

Depression - Part - Condition - Existence - Sin

Depression is a common part of the human condition, resulting from the existence of sin in the world, but not a sin in and of itself.

We see signs of depression in various Bible characters like Elijah, David, and Solomon. We also read about depression in the lives of historical figures like Abraham Lincoln and great Christian leaders like Charles Spurgeon.

Spurgeon

Spurgeon said,

I know, perhaps as well as anyone, what depression means, and what it is to feel myself sinking lower and lower. Yet at the worst, when I reach the lowest depths, I have an inward peace which no pain or depression can in the least...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Brandon Cox
Wake Up To Breaking News!