Ryan Reynolds Calls ‘Free Guy’ a “Modern-Day Back to the Future”

Collider | 12/14/2019 | Haleigh Foutch
Click For Photo: https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/free-guy-poster-trailer-social.jpeg

The first Free Guy trailer dropped online last week at CCXP, where I was lucky enough to be in the room for the panel and get a sneak peek at some exclusive footage from the film and a few more details on what to expect from the original new action-comedy from Stranger Things and Night at the Museum director Shawn Levy. The film stars Ryan Reynolds as Guy, a bank teller who realizes he’s a non-playable character in a shared-world video game called Free City and becomes a viral phenomenon when he takes his life into his own hands in becomes a good guy in a bad world.

Reynolds and Levy took the stage at CCXP alongside co-star and Stranger Things favorite Joe Keery to tee up the film, and Reynolds had some seriously strong words of praise, saying, “Free Guy is my favorite movie I’ve ever made, and that means a lot because I also made Deadpool.” The actor and producer described the film as a “modern-day Back to the Future for this generation,” highlighting the combination of action, comedy and adventure they’re hoping to bring to the screen.

Film - Opportunity - Movies - Character - Bill

But the film didn’t just offer a creative opportunity to tap into the movies he loved growing up, it also allowed him to play a pure-hearted character that he likened to those played by Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, and specifically, Peter Sellers in Being There, which he name-dropped twice during the panel. Levy explained that Reynolds plays “an innocent in a cynical world. So the movie is about the rise of the idealist in a world that’s cynical and dark. So you really root for that character,” he said, comparing Guy to characters like the 40-year-old Virgin and Will Ferrell in Elf.

And so does the rest of the world in the film....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do you exist for Something or Nothing?
Tagged: