Kevin Bacon on Not Acting ‘Likable,’ Whether ‘Tremors’ Could Ever Come Back

Variety | 12/10/2019 | Audrey Cleo Yap
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/coah_103_1406_r.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Whatever you do, don’t tell Kevin Bacon to act “likable.”

“I can walk into a room hungry — from an acting standpoint — angry, fearful, aggressive. I don’t know how to walk into a room ‘likably,’” he tells Variety. “That’s not an actable action for me.”

TV - Film - Actor - Knack - Characters

Although the veteran TV and film actor has a knack for humanizing otherwise unlikable characters, including Jackie Rohr, the generously mustachioed FBI veteran Bacon plays on Showtime’s “City on a Hill.”

The cop drama is set in early ‘90s Boston, where crime and corruption were rampant until the city, ostensibly, turned a page (dubbed the “Boston miracle”). But Bacon’s Rohr — with his unbridled bigotry and sexism — feels like a relic, regardless of time period. The show also touches on themes of police corruption and systemic racism, topics Bacon says still feel relevant today.

Society - Concept - Racism - Something - Kind

“I feel like, as a society, we have a growing concept of institutional racism, which I think is something we’ve kind of convinced ourselves that — because we elected Obama — that that was all over,” says Bacon. “I think we’re living in a time where that’s clearly not the case. It’s interesting to look back at this show and say, ‘How long it is gonna take us?’”

Showtime has renewed “City on a Hill” for a second season. For its freshman run, actor Kyra Sedgwick — Bacon’s wife — directed an...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!