Beloved 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' Actor René Auberjonois Dies at 79

Space.com | 12/10/2019 | Elizabeth Howell
DanRules394DanRules394 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/T6x6NhBMypyr9AKsYHH4rS-1200-80.jpg

René Auberjonois, who starred in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" as the shapeshifting Odo, died Sunday (Dec. 8) at age 79, a family member told The Guardian.

Auberjonois died in his Los Angeles home as a result of metastatic lung cancer, his son Rèmy-Luc Auberjonois told the publication. Auberjonois' death was confirmed by spokespeople on his official Twitter account.

News - Star - Trek - Actors - Tribute

Since the news broke, numerous "Star Trek" actors have paid tribute to Auberjonois on social media.

"I have just heard about the death of my friend and fellow actor @reneauberjonois," William Shatner, who played Capt. James T. Kirk in "Star Trek: The Original Series" and numerous movies, wrote on Twitter. "To sum up his life in a tweet is nearly impossible. To Judith, Tessa & Remy I send you my love & strength. I will keep you in my thoughts and remember a wonderful friendship with René."

Loss - George - Takei - Sulu - Series

"This is a terrible loss," George Takei, who played Sulu on "The Original Series" and in various movies, wrote on Twitter. "Star Trek fans knew him as Odo from Deep Space Nine. We knew him as René. He was a wonderful, caring, and intelligent man. He shall be missed. When I look out to the stars, I shall think of you, friend."

Among "Star Trek" fans, Auberjonois is best remembered for playing the Changeling Odo, who served as chief of security aboard the Deep Space 9 space station. Odo's naturally gelatinous state allowed him to assume multiple sorts of shapes. In the series, he appeared most often as a humanoid to better interact with the other crew members on the station. Odo rested, in natural form, inside a bucket.

Star - Trek - Fan - Site - Memory

According to "Star Trek" fan site Memory Alpha, Odo was known as a tough yet fair lawmaker who was even able to settle intercultural disputes during a nasty and lengthy...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Space.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!