How the Spirit and the Word Prepare You for the Lord’s Supper

The Aquila Report | 12/9/2019 | Staff
entengoentengo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.logos.com/images/Corporate/LibronixLink_dark.png

Paul warned that anyone who takes the Lord’s Supper in an unworthy manner “drinks judgment on himself.” Therefore, he calls us to “examine” ourselves and “then . . . eat of the bread and drink of the cup.” But how do we do that? If our hearts are deceitful and lead us to evil and idolatry, how shall we be able to examine ourselves? Thankfully, as with all aspects of salvation, God provides what he demands, and the answer comes in the working of God’s Word and God’s Spirit.

“Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults.

Servant - Sins

Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins;

let them not have dominion over me!

Blameless - Innocent - Transgression

Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.

be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”

Lord - Table - Heart - Condition - Errors

How do you approach the Lord’s table when your heart is uncertain of its spiritual condition? If you question the errors of our heart, as David did in Psalm 19 (“Who can discern his errors?”), what will compel you to take the Lord’s Supper confidently? Will you withdraw from the bread and the cup when sin plague’s your soul? Or might the Lord’s Supper be an appointed means of reconciliation via remembrance?

These are not hypothetical questions, but realities Christians face as we commune with a holy God. Paul warned that anyone who takes the Lord’s Supper in an unworthy manner “drinks judgment on himself” (1 Corinthians 11:29). Therefore, he calls us to “examine” ourselves and “then . . . eat of the bread and drink of the cup” (v. 28).

But how do we do that? If...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!