STOPPING BY AFTER FORTY YEARS — PART 1

spectrummagazine.org | 12/9/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://spectrummagazine.org/sites/default/files/harli-marten-m9jrkdxoqou-unsplash-sm.jpg

“Dr. Heartwell”

When I learned last winter that Desmond Ford died, I wanted to find some place to pay my respects. So I wandered over to Spectrum. Reflecting on Dr. Ford’s life and ministry led me to think about my own experience in the Seventh-day Adventist world, and since. This is my modest effort to account for my teaching and thinking from when I first encountered the SDA world, and on to the present.

Forty - Years - Contact - Fifteen - Years

Over the past forty years I’ve had occasional contact with some whom I knew for the fifteen or so years I was more directly involved in the SDA experience. But I have not followed the SDA church since that time, and I have not engaged with any of the off-to-the-side ministries/groups who have themselves oriented their existence to their belief that the Mother Ship needs fixing, or offended souls who have had negative experiences with Mother and whose testimonies are intended as a warning to others.

My thinking is in three parts. First, to socially locate myself I offer a bit of my history within the SDA church, and how my experience evolved off to the side, and then afterward from my departure to the present. Here are stories of how I encountered SDA leadership and others. I didn’t find Adventism to be one thing.

Share - Something - Bowen - Theory - Framework

Second, I wish to share something of Bowen theory, the theoretical framework that’s informed my thinking and practice (personal and professional) for the past thirty-plus years. Here is how I engage my own family system, clients, professionals, and colleagues around how I use systems theory to inform theology and biblical studies. This occurred after my SDA-related experiences were behind me. As readers engage this part of my history, perhaps some may understand why I have found this useful over time, and why it might be...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: