Julia Louis-Dreyfus Talks ‘Seinfeld,’ ‘Sexist’ Environment at ‘SNL’ in Q&A With Stephen Colbert

Variety | 12/8/2019 | Addie Morfoot
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/stephen-colbert-julia-louis-dreyfus.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Stephen Colbert and Julia Louis-Dreyfus swapped stories about “Saturday Night Live,” Northwestern University, “Seinfeld” and the possibility of running for office during a Q&A held Saturday as part of Montclair Film Festival’s annual “Evening with Stephen Colbert” fundraiser.

Colbert, a Montclair resident, has long been a booster of the festival, which is going into its ninth year in May. More than 2,800 people turned up on Saturday for the benefit at Newark’s Performing Arts Center’s Prudential Hall.

Selina - Meyer - Veep - People - Office

“Since you’ve played Selina Meyer (on “Veep”), have people sincerely asked you to run for office?” Colbert asked Louis-Dreyfus, who just wrapped a seven-season run as the ever-scheming politician at the center of the HBO comedy.

Louis-Dreyfus nodded before adding, “No. I won’t do it. Have they asked you?”

Colbert - Office - Louis-Dreyfus - Nothing - Politics

Colbert confessed that he has been asked to run for office. But like Louis-Dreyfus, he wants nothing to do with real-life politics.

“I’ve accused (the people who ask me to run) of mental illness,” Colbert quipped. “I’m like, ‘You’ve lost your mind!’”

Stars - Alumni - Northwestern - University - Days

Both stars are alumni of Northwestern University and reminisced about their days spent in Evanston, Ill. Louis-Dreyfus spoke about her departure from college at 21 to take a job at “SNL.”

Louis-Dreyfus described her three-year stint on the show with Eddie Murphy, Christopher Guest and Martin Short as a “brutal” experience.

Plenty - People - Show - Dynamics - Place

“There were plenty of people on the show who were incredibly funny,” she said. “But I was unbelievably naive and I didn’t really understand how the dynamics of the place worked. It was very sexist, very sexist. People were doing crazy drugs at the time. I was oblivious. I just thought, ‘Oh wow. He’s got a lot of energy.’ ”

While it proved to be a rough three years, Louis-Dreyfus also found her time at “SNL” “informative.”

“I learned I wasn’t going to do anymore of this show-business **** unless it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!