British cave diver branded 'pedo guy' by Elon Musk faces potentially ruinous legal costs

Mail Online | 6/23/2018 | William Cole For Mailonline
donuzumakidonuzumaki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/12/07/17/21947172-0-image-a-2_1575740386874.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/03/08/3142757854489428051/1024x576_MP4_3142757854489428051.mp4

A man branded a 'pedo guy' by Elon Musk could face potentially ruinous legal costs after losing his court case against the Tesla boss.

Vernon Unsworth has said he has taken the loss of the court battle 'on the chin' and will 'just have to get on with life'.

Mr - Unsworth - Costs - Extent - Figures

However, it hasn't been determined whether Mr Unsworth will have to pay costs, the extent of which is unknown but could run potentially run well into six figures.

Unsworth has not disclosed if he has taken out insurance against the costs of losing.

Judge - Pay - Musk - Costs - Musk

The judge is free to make Unsworth pay Musk’s costs but could also rule that Musk has to pay his own after both sides submit documents to the court.

Musk was found not liable in a defamation case involving a British cave explorer he called a 'pedo guy' on Twitter.

Vernon - Unsworth - Tesla - Co-founder - Slur

Vernon Unsworth sued the Tesla co-founder for the slur following the July 2018 Thai cave rescue.

On Friday, a federal court in California heard that Unsworth - one of the hero divers who rescued 12 boys and their soccer coach from the cave - was left feeling 'humiliated, ashamed, [and] dirtied,' by billionaire's tweet.

Jury - Musk - Lawyers - Playground - Insult

However, a jury sided with Musk after his lawyers argued it was no more than a playground insult and did not represent an actual allegation of pedophilia.

Following news of the verdict, Musk told DailyMail.com: 'My faith in humanity is restored.'

Unsworth - Opinion - Courtroom - 'I - Jury

Unsworth had a different opinion, as he left the courtroom stating: 'I respect the jury's decision - unfortunately it didn't go as I expected.

His British lawyer, Mark Stephens, told DailyMail.com: 'It's a pity that a bullying billionaire may be able to cast such a long shadow as this. We came here because Mr Musk said sue or true.'

Stephens - 'We - Today

Stephens continued: 'We sued today and where we have...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Tagged: