Robert Redford Talks About Potential Next Film, U.S. Politics, Life Philosophy

Variety | 12/8/2019 | Elsa Keslassy
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/robert-redford.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

During a 90-minute onstage conversation at the Marrakech Film Festival, where he received an honorary tribute, Robert Redford spoke about his life-long quest for truth and freedom, and his political engagement through films, as well as a long-gestating project he’s considering producing, despite having announced his retirement.

When he has spoken about the project, “109 East Palace,” in the past, he said he would direct it, but now he is thinking of only producing. The story revolves around the rise and fall of the physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, who was hailed as an American hero when he created the atomic bomb in 1940, and was disgraced during the McCarthy era.

East - Palace - Address - New - Mexico

“109 East Palace” is an address in New Mexico where the atomic bomb was created, said Redford, who developed the script. “Oppenheimer was a hero, he invented the atomic bomb around 1940 and by 1945 they discovered that his background as a young person was communist, and because it was in the 1950s during the McCarthy period of our history everything was so extreme, right wing, so suddenly this guy who was a hero, (became) a villain and the congressmen went after him.”

“It’s a story about how things can change because of the political climate,” said Redford. “It’s a really, really interesting topic… and such as a great story but as I got closer to it, I thought maybe I shouldn’t direct it and just produce it,” he said.

Redford - Idea - Film - Part - Part

Redford explained he felt conflicted about the idea of directing another film because he’s already said he would retire. “Some part of me would like to direct it to control things… the other part says ‘No, you said you didn’t want to do that anymore so don’t!”

He also once again expressed regrets over announcing his retirement a couple years ago. “The only trouble with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!