Airman, 27, struck by bullets during Pensacola Naval base attack speaks out

Mail Online | 12/7/2019 | Andrew Court For Dailymail.com
fofofofo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/12/08/05/21962250-0-image-a-15_1575783407146.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/12/06/2319217286752743763/1024x576_MP4_2319217286752743763.mp4

An airman who was shot and injured after a Saudi military student opened fire at Navy Station Pensacola on Friday is speaking out about the harrowing experience for the first time.

Ryan Blackwell, 27, who remains in intensive care after being shot in his pelvis and his right arm, was one of the eight people wounded in the attack carried out by Mohammed al-Shamrani.

Pensacola - News - Journal - Saturday - Blackwell

Speaking with Pensacola News Journal on Saturday, Blackwell revealed that he was inside his office on the first floor along with two colleagues when they heard gunfire break out in a nearby classroom.

Blackwell, who processes paperwork for international students at the base, said the group quickly shut their glass door and took cover, hoping that the gunman wouldn't come inside.

Door - Bullets - Blackwell - Colleagues

However, al-Shamrani 'shot straight through the door', with bullets striking Blackwell and both his colleagues.

Blackwell was struckas he tried to shield his female colleague from the gunfire. His intestines were severed in the process.

Trio - Case - Room - Blackwell - Window

The injured trio quickly realized they need to escape in case al-Shamrani came into the room, so Blackwell pried open a window with his left hand.

'My adrenaline was pumping so much. I wasn't worried about being shot. I was worried about getting us to safety and getting us out of there,' Blackwell stated.

Window - Safety - Fact

The three managed to jump out of the window and run to safety, despite the fact they were bleeding heavily.

Blackwell tied his belt around his right arm in order to stem the flow of blood.

Co-worker - Hospital

He urgently called a co-worker and explained that they needed to get to a hospital because they 'were bleeding out'.

'We could have been three more casualties if we didn't escape,' he stated.

Friend - Blackwell - Photo - Girlfriend - 'Ryan

A friend of Blackwell's shared a photo of the airman alongside his girlfriend, and wrote beneath the snap: 'Ryan...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!