A Lost Screwtape Letter (Dated in December)

The Gospel Coalition | 12/7/2019 | Justin Wainscott
hey13hey13 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/04091252/lightstock_383699_full_tgc.jpg

NOTE: I am not at liberty to say how the correspondence below fell into my hands, but it appears to be a lost letter written by that experienced devil, Screwtape, to his novice nephew, Wormwood, who is still learning the diabolical tricks of being a demon. It was dated in December (but the year is unknown).

I received your latest letter in which you expressed a number of fears over your patient’s celebration of those seasons of the year that Christians call Advent and Christmas (and to which Our Father Below only refers to, usually in disgust, as The Invasion). I must admit, Wormwood, I could not help but laugh at how fearful you seemed at this prospect. Not that these particular seasons shouldn’t strike fear in every young fiend like yourself when rightly understood, but therein lies our advantage when it comes to so many Christians. There is much they misunderstand or never consider at all. Devil forbid they ever grasp the real implications of these seasons.

Situation - Suggestions - **** - High - Command

So since you asked how best to handle this current (and I believe you called it dreaded), situation, let me offer three heinous suggestions that even those in ****’s High Command would not question. If you can succeed in the first two, the third may not even be necessary. But if worst comes to worst, the third suggestion is always at your disposal, and it is effective, because it gives your patient the illusion he’s celebrating these seasons when in fact you’re helping him miss the point.

First, try keeping the patient sufficiently distracted. This is important, Wormwood, because the Enemy wants him to ponder and meditate on that awful truth (I shudder even to write it), the incarnation. You must do all you can to prevent this from happening—and distraction is one of your...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Economic projections are useless with out the exact timer they will occur