What better day than Saturday for an appreciation of Looney Toons?

Catholic and Enjoying It! | 12/7/2019 | Staff
marikamarika (Posted by) Level 3
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-butterfly.jpg

My pal, Deacon Steven Greydanus, writes an encomium to the sheer greatness of these cartoons that says everything I could ever say and more. Here’s a taste, but read the whole thing:

It’s hard to believe that many American children had their first experience of Sylvester and Tweety Bird in a 2011 computer-animated short, “I Tawt I Taw a Putty Tat,” accompanying Happy Feet Two. Hard to believe, first, that Sylvester and Tweety made it back to the big screen — and, second, that these iconic animated characters that defined Saturday morning for decades and were beloved big-screen icons before that have become pretty much strangers to many of the current generation of kids. How did that happen?

Putty - Tat - Year - Coyote - Falls

I haven’t seen “I Tawt I Taw a Putty Tat,” but I saw last year’s “Coyote Falls,” the first in a new series of computer-animated Looney Tunes shorts from Warner Bros. (I can’t think when or where I saw it, since it played before Cats & Dogs 2: The Revenge of Kitty Galore, which I happily skipped.) “Coyote Falls” isn’t bad, although it’s one gag after another with no down time: no scenes of Wile E. plotting, pacing back and forth, drawing up blueprints, receiving packages from Acme, and such.

In any case, there’s no touching the classics. Looney Tunes are still part of my Saturday morning ritual: Every week, my kids and I watch a few shorts from the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs. Recently Warner Bros released the first installment in its new Blu-ray Platinum Edition collection. If you didn’t jump on the Golden Collection bandwagon, the Platinum Collection is a good place to start.

Youth - Generation - Others - Looney - Tunes

In my youth, as with many of my generation and others, Looney Tunes was a key gateway into a larger world of comedy, entertainment and culture. I don’t remember...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic and Enjoying It!
Wake Up To Breaking News!