The best self-cleaning water bottles for tastier tap water in 2019

CNET | 12/5/2019 | Staff
newusr01newusr01 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/6QjLa7cATL_jyfIdotyQDD_bLNM=/756x567/2019/10/15/0a8cb0d7-234a-4443-82e0-a17b149d6406/self-cleaning-water-bottles.jpg

Typical reusable water bottles are shaped as if manufacturers don't want you to clean them, ever. Most of them don't fit a standard kitchen scrubber, let alone your hand and a sponge. I suppose you could buy a special bottle brush, but hear me out -- what if you never had to clean your reusable water bottle ever again? That could be your reality with a UV-powered self-sanitizing water bottle.

Unlike filtered water bottles, which use a variety of mechanisms to trap sediment and pathogens, self-cleaning water bottles use UV technology to completely zap waterborne microbes.

CrazyCap - Mahaton - Larq - UV-C - Light

Left to right: The CrazyCap, Mahaton and Larq bottles all sanitize themselves with UV-C light.

The biggest difference between water bottles that provide filtration and self-cleaning water bottles is that the UV technology used in self-cleaning bottles doesn't get rid of dirt and sediment. So while the bottles can kill viruses, bacteria and other micro-organisms that can make you sick, they won't filter out heavy metals or other particulates. Still better than traditional water dispensers or single-use plastic bottles, though.

Water - Bottles - Outdoors - Water - Bottles

Because of that, I decided not to test these self-cleaning water bottles outdoors. Instead, I used tap water to find out which self-cleaning bottles stood up to their claims, and drank the water at home or in the office. Which is the best self cleaning water bottle for clean drinking water? Remember, ice cubes are sold separately.

The CrazyCap bottle has two water purification modes: normal mode and "crazy mode." According to CrazyCap, normal mode kills up to 99.99% of contaminants and is suitable for "low to medium contamination," such as from public water fountains and tap faucets. Crazy mode, on the other hand, kills up to 99.9996% of contaminants and is suitable for "medium to high contamination," such as from lakes and rivers. The normal...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Aim and timing is evereything.
Tagged: