ASK FATHER: Guidelines for sitting in choir, including birettaquette and also hoodiquette. With a short Fr. Z rant.

wdtprs.com | 11/20/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
shardonayshardonay (Posted by) Level 3

QUAERITUR:

I am one of the Dominican brothers who was sitting behind you at the Pontifical Mass. Thanks for all you do for the liturgy! Although it hasn’t always been the case, we are witnessing a resurgence of our own traditional Dominican Rite throughout our province with a sincere desire to learn it amongst the students (of which I am one). Praise God!

Source - Hoods - Pontifical - Mass - Roman

I am writing to ask if you can point to a source that tells what we were supposed to do with our hoods during the Pontifical Mass in the Roman Rite. Do we follow the birettas? That’s what we did – biretta on, hood on – biretta off, hood off. But in the Dominican Rite we do much less taking on and off of the hoods so it posed the question of what we should have been doing.

Thanks for any clarity or resources you can provide!

Hmmm… - Hoods - Dominicans

Hmmm… what religious do with their hoods, specifically Dominicans.

Dominicans at Mass at a mystery to me.

Roman - Joke - Translation - Roman - Context

I am reminded of an old Roman joke, which may not survive translation out of a now outdated but very Roman context. How does one gauge how “successful” a liturgy is among the different religions families? It seems that it is successful for the Benedictines if they have sung more than half the notes correctly; for the Dominicans if at least half are still there at the end; for the Jesuits if at least half show up at all; and for the Franciscans if half are still uninjured.

As far as birettas are concerned, the vested sacred ministers wear the biretta in church during the processions in and out. Others in procession, once they enter the church, remove their biretta and hold it top outward before their breast with both hands. If they carry a book, they hold the book...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!