Big or Small, Your Church Matters

Orange Leaders | 11/20/2019 | Haley Morgan Smith
Click For Photo: http://orangeblogs.org/orangeleaders/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2018/10/iStock-180808529.jpg

Can I shoot straight with you? Up until about four years ago, I had no idea what a small group was. When it was explained to me, I thought, Oh, so basically my Sunday School class.

The church I grew up in didn’t have small groups or large groups. It didn’t have screens for lyrics and message notes. And it for sure didn’t have a band.

Church - Sunday - Dad - Head - Deacon

My church ran about 50 on a good Sunday. My dad was the head deacon, the adult Sunday School teacher and the maintenance man. My youth leader was a full-time cop who volunteered to lead us, often with his gun and handcuffs on his hip. And my youth group was about four other girls my age. A small group, essentially.

We didn’t have a ton, because we didn’t have a lot of resources. As I got older, I had opportunities to be a part and serve at churches who had a plethora of resources, and those even further helped strengthen my understanding of who God is. But can I tell you that there is no other place in my life that has taught me to love and serve others more than that little church in the middle of nowhere.

Fifty - Attendees - Church - Matters - Church

This is what I’m saying: Fifty attendees or 5,000—your church matters. Because, while your church may have a paid staff of zero and a volunteer staff of a few that do multiple jobs, that is not what the kids in your church will remember. The kids in your church will remember that there were adults who cared about them and stayed consistent in their lives, regardless of whether they wore Carhartts or skinny jeans.

What I love so much...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Orange Leaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep