Should You Be Angry at Chick-fil-A?

Russell Moore | 11/19/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.russellmoore.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/inlineweb-1200x630.jpeg

In the final season of the NBC comedy series Parks and Recreation, set in the then-future of 2017, the characters remarked at how Chick-fil-A’s stock had soared since being purchased by entertainer Elton John. The writers of that show were not nearly creative enough. They would not have imagined a 2019 in which Donald Trump is president, Kanye West is a Christian icon, and Chick-fil-A is blasted online by some Christians as “politically correct” and in opposition to those with biblical beliefs about marriage.

The controversy comes, of course, because of Chick-fil-A’s announcement that it will reorient funding around two or three key initiatives, ending longstanding charity work with the Salvation Army and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. The ambiguity of the company’s wording, along with reporting on both sides of the so-called “culture war,” suggest that this has to do with these organizations’ commitment to a biblical definition of marriage and sexuality.

Christians - Yesterday - Advertising - Campaign - Chicken

Many Christians are angry about this. One said to me yesterday, mimicking a new advertising campaign, “Chicken: It’s Not Just On Our Menu; It’s Who We Are.” That’s understandable, given the way corporations in recent years have sought to marginalize and stigmatize views on marriage held by at least a sizable minority of Americans and which was and is the dominant view on marriage. To merely dissent from the sexual revolution in any way is often characterized as bigotry. The Salvation Army and the FCA are hardly angry culture-warriors, railing against those who disagree. They simply refuse to change views consistent with the biblical texts and with 2000 years of Christian teaching. As one Christian said to me yesterday, “I can see Planned Parenthood demonizing these good groups as untouchable bigots, but Chick-fil-A?”

I know, and like, the Cathy family, so I suppose I am willing to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Russell Moore
Wake Up To Breaking News!