Cynthia Erivo On ‘Harriet’s’ Gratifying Success & The ‘Weird & Wonderful’ Mini-Series ‘The Outsider’ [Interview]

The Playlist | 11/18/2019 | Gregory Ellwood
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CynthiaErivoGovernorsAwards2019.jpg

After Sunday, and to the surprise of many naysayers, Kasi Lemmons’ “Harriet” has earned a very impressive $31.8 million at the box office with a long way to go in its theatrical run. The success of the biopic is a testament to the enduring interest its legendary subject, Harriet Tubman, and the word of mouth worthy performance from its star, Cynthia Erivo. A Tony Award and Grammy Award winner who may soon add an Oscar to her increasingly crowded mantle.

WATCH: The new teaser for HBO’s Stephen King mini-series “The Outsider”

London - Native - Number - Contenders - Best

The London native is battling a number of other contenders for a Best Actress nomination, but she’s also deservedly in play for a Best Original Song nod for the wonderful “Stand Up” which she co-wrote with Joshuah Brian Campbell. Make no mistake, the songs from “Frozen II” are going to get the lion’s share of attention from the Academy, but anyone who thinks they are superior to Erivo and Campbell’s work may need to reconsider voting in the category.

Erivo’s big-screen career has been on the upswing since appearances in Steve McQueen’s “Widows” and Drew Goddard’s “Bad Time at the El Royale” last year. Besides “Harriet” she will soon appear in Joshuah Brian Campbell and John Ridley’s “Needle In A Haystack.” Before those films debut, however, she’ll be seen in the eagerly anticipated HBO adaptation of Stephen King’s “The Outsider” alongside Ben Mendelsohn and Jason Bateman.

Hard - Work - Album - Awards - Circuit

Hard at work on a new album while continuing to travel the awards circuit for “Harriet,” Erivo jumped on the phone to discuss her much-praised performance, handing the Oscar buzz and provide a slight tease about “The Outsider.”

How gratifying is it that “Harriet” is such a hit at the box office?

Gratifying

I mean, it’s more than gratifying. I’m so pleased, not just for me, but really I’m...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.