‘The Crown’: Josh O’Connor, Erin Doherty on Charles and Anne ‘Breaking the Mold’

Variety | 11/17/2019 | Will Thorne
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/befunky-collage-1-1.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not yet watched “The Crown” Season 3 on Netflix.

The arrivals of Prince Charles (Josh O’Connor) and Princess Anne (Erin Doherty) midway through “The Crown’s” third season infuse the show with a youthful energy reminiscent of the first two years. But, they also offer a sense of rebelliousness, shaking up the royal family’s status quo.

Charles - Anne - Confines - Life - Season

Charles and Anne have both grown up within the suffocating confines of royal life, but Season 3 sees Anne refuse to put on a show for a documentary about the royal family, while Charles becomes much closer with his uncle the Duke of Windsor (Derek Jacobi), who infamously abdicated the throne to marry American socialite Wallis Simpson (Geraldine Chaplin).

“I completely sympathize with Anne, obviously she’s going to break the rules now and then, she’s a teenager, that’s what you do,” Doherty tells Variety. “She and Charles have been formed within this constricted environment, of course they’re going to want to break out of that. Wouldn’t you?”

Charles - Life - Wings - Viewers - Season

Charles has spent his entire life waiting in the wings, and ironically, viewers have to wait until halfway through Season 3 of Netflix’s “The Crown” to meet the latest iteration of the perennial heir to the throne. When he does arrive, Charles (Josh O’Connor) is portrayed as a trapped 20-something waiting for his life to begin.

“There was this one line which comes in Episode 8, where Charles described his life as being like Purgatory. He says he’s waiting for his mother to die for his life to take meaning. It’s such a Shakespearian idea from Peter Morgan, this idea that this young man is waiting on the sidelines for his mother to die, it’s such a big question and it’s what excited me about playing Charles and opened up all these ideas for me...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!