Ruth Graham Opens Up About Feeling Abandoned as a Child

ChurchLeaders | 11/15/2019 | Staff
srqlolosrqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CL-ruth-graham.jpg

Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CL-image-number-2.jpg

Ruth Graham, daughter of Billy Graham, opened up recently about her past and her struggles with forgiveness, including the need she felt to forgive her father. Ruth struggled through four failed marriages before she questioned her salvation in Christ. Part of being able to forgive herself and move on, Ruth says, included the acknowledgment that she felt abandoned by her father due to his busy ministry schedule.

“I had to forgive my father for a sense of abandonment that I grew up with because he traveled so much when I was a little girl,” Ruth told Life Today’s Randy Robison.

Ruth - Feeling - Abandonment - Fact - Father

Ruth’s feeling of abandonment stemmed from the fact that she didn’t have a father who could tuck her into bed most of the time or even teach her how to ride a bicycle. It caused her, Ruth says, to “look for a man to make her feel secure” instead of relying totally in Jesus.

Ruth is quick to say that she loved her father and that he was her hero, and it took her a long time to realize this sense of abandonment was contributing to her failed relationships. By the time her fourth marriage fell apart, Ruth questioned her salvation. Ruth says that she thought she was trusting in and relying on Jesus as her “security”, but “it really wasn’t the truth.”

Ruth - Part - Journey - Forgiveness - God

Ruth said part of her journey of forgiveness also included forgiving God (as admittedly theologically unsound as that thought is, she says) for her failed marriages. “I claimed verses that he would do a new thing in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!