The Power of Forgiveness: a Heart Transformed from Judgement to Redemption

Ann Voskamp | 11/15/2019 | Staff
MijacMijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://live.staticflickr.com/5685/30785845702_bd9327656c_b_d.jpg

Al and I first became foster parents in 1982.

One night, we were watching TV and an advertisement came on explaining that the community was in real need of families who would take in children​ who had been hurt or neglected by their parents.

Home - Food - Table - Room - Hearts

We looked at each other and agreed that we had a nice home, food on the table, and room in our hearts that we could share with such children.

The next day, I drove to our local DFS office and filled out an application to become foster parents. After going through interviews and a home check, we received our first child, a little boy.

Days - Fostering - Parents - Guardians - Family

In our early days of fostering, we were critical of the parents, guardians, and family members who were supposed to be responsible for these innocent children, and we interpreted our role as temporary saviors to these neglected and abused children.

We didn’t think to question why the abuse occurred.

Adults - Drugs - Alcoholics - Others - Anger

We assumed it was because the adults were on drugs or were alcoholics or they had been abused so they abused others, or they had anger issues that were never addressed.

To us, such parents seemed evil with no conscience or boundaries.

Ours - Perspective - People - Choices - Passion

Ours was a simplistic perspective, and though we didn’t comprehend what would cause people to make such choices, we shared a passion to step in and help children who suffered at the hand, or lack of care, of their parents.

One of the first foster babies Al and I received had been rescued from a car when he was five days old. The infant had been abandoned inside the vehicle on a hot day; the mother had grabbed her drugs and run from the car.

Police - Baby - Mother - Boyfriend - Baby

She was caught and arrested, but the police never knew about the baby until the mother’s boyfriend came to bail her out. The baby almost didn’t...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ann Voskamp
Wake Up To Breaking News!