Gov. Bevin concedes to Beshear in Kentucky governor´s race

Mail Online | 11/14/2019 | Associated Press
CarisCaris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/11/14/20/21022706-0-image-a-50_1573764122593.jpg

Republican Gov. Matt Bevin conceded to Democratic archnemesis Andy Beshear on Thursday, putting an end to Kentucky´s bitterly fought governor´s race.

Bevin, an ally of President Donald Trump, made the dramatic announcement outside his statehouse office on the same day election officials across Kentucky double-checked vote totals at his request.

Change - Governorship - Vote - People - Bevin

'We're going to have a change in the governorship based upon the vote of the people,' Bevin said at the news conference before wishing attorney general Beshear well in the new role.

'I truly want the best for Andy Beshear as he moves forward. I genuinely want him to be successful, I genuinely want this state to be successful,' Bevin said.

Week - Election - Results - Bevin - Beshear

Last week's election results showed Bevin trailing Beshear by more than 5,000 votes out of more than 1.4 million cast, for a lead of less than 0.4 percentage points.

In the days after the election, Bevin had steadfastly refused to concede while hinting, without offering evidence, that there had been 'irregularities' in the voting.

Bevin - Chorus - State - Republicans - Results

Bevin, however, faced a growing chorus of state Republicans urging him to accept the results of the recanvass unless he could point to evidence of substantial voter fraud.

Beshear, the son of a former two-term Kentucky governor, already declared victory and has been preparing to become governor in December.

Kentucky - Contest - Signs - Furor - Washington

The Kentucky contest was watched closely for early signs of how the impeachment furor in Washington might affect Trump and other Republicans.

Bevin could have contested the outcome once it was certified by the state Board of Elections, which is scheduled to meet Nov. 21.

Election - Outcome - Hands - Legislature

Contesting an election could have put the outcome in the hands of the GOP-led legislature.

The last time Kentucky lawmakers decided a governor's race was the 1899 election, in a dispute marked by the assassination of the Democrat who was declared the winner.

Beshear - Win - Democrats - Victory

Beshear's upset win gives Democrats a victory...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!