10 Hymns Youth Groups Should Sing

The Gospel Coalition | 11/15/2019 | Joe Deegan
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/13145954/IMG_8704_JPG_-M39Q6qh.jpg

Few things are more awkward than an adult youth worker trying to sound like a teenager. Equally awkward is the adult youth worker flaunting theological astuteness by using words students don’t understand. Both, however, illustrate the importance of language in youth ministry. Especially when we are communicating the gospel.

This is why the language of the songs we sing is important. Many worship songs are either simplistically shallow or awkwardly antiquated. For many students in our youth groups, hymns fall into the latter category. But while the language might be lofty and unfamiliar, hymns can teach students that worshiping the Almighty God is not a casual encounter.

Language - Hymns - Students - Almighty - God

While the language might be lofty and unfamiliar, hymns can teach students that worshiping the Almighty God is not a casual encounter.

As for the students not understanding the words, isn’t that what we want as youth ministers—to teach our students something true and beautiful about Jesus that they might not already know? Corporate worship need not be only experiential or emotional; it can also be an occasion for learning.

Hymns - Plenty - Worship - Songs - Hymns

I’m not saying we should only sing hymns. There are plenty of incredible modern worship songs out there. But ignoring older hymns altogether is an enormous oversight.

Here are 10 hymns I believe youth groups should try to sing.

Jesus - Cross - Favorites - Time - Henry

1. “Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken” is one of my favorites of all time. Written by Henry Lyte in 1825, this hymn walks us through the labors of the Christian life, teaching us that our hardship has a purpose. When we suffer, we look forward to the new creation that Jesus will bring when “hope shall change to glad fruition.” This hymn will help prepare students to suffer with hope instead of futility. Listen on Spotify.

2. “How Firm a Foundation” gives us a wonderful lesson...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: