Jesus Said, “Buy a sword.” What did he mean?

Greg Boyd - ReKnew | 11/12/2019 | Staff
PaMePaMe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://reknew.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SwordPurchase.jpg

Jesus Said, “Buy a sword.” What did he mean?

Yesterday, I challenged the common assumption that Jesus was violent when he drove out the animals and turned over tables in the Temple courts. (See post.) Today I want to look at the second episode some site to suggest Jesus wasn’t totally opposed to violence. It takes place just before Jesus and his disciples leave to go pray at the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus first had his disciples recall the missionary expedition he had recently sent them on. To teach them total dependence upon God, Jesus had forbidden them to take any provisions on this journey (Luke 9:3). Jesus asks them, “When I sent you without purse, bag, or sandals, did you lack anything”? “Nothing,” they all responded (Luke 22:35).

Jesus - Purse - Bag - Sword - Cloak

Then Jesus said, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I will tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment” (vs. 36–37).

The disciples happen to have two swords with them, so they showed them to Jesus. “That is enough” he replied (vs. 38).

Episode - Conclusion - Jesus - Followers - Violence

Does this episode warrant the conclusion that Jesus expects his followers to engage in violence in certain circumstances? A close reading of the text reveals that it teaches nothing of the sort.

First, when Peter used the sword against those who were arresting him, Jesus responded “No more of this!” and healed the man’s ear that was cut off. Jesus rebuked him and told him to put...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Greg Boyd - ReKnew
Wake Up To Breaking News!