Reporter’s Liberal Anti-Coal Rant Earns Her Network Anchor Chair on Morning Show Drama

NewsBusters | 11/5/2019 | Staff
moricamorica (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/screen_shot_2019-11-04_at_9.11.43_pm.png

Apple TV+'s flagship series, The Morning Show, was inspired by a book by CNN's Brian Stelter and it shows. Clearly meant to be prestige television in the mold of HBO, the series is more preachy, self-indulgent Newsroom than juicy, story-driven Big Little Lies. The first three episodes of a 10 episode season were released with the premiere of Apple TV+ on November 1.

The Morning Show stars Steve Carell as Mitch Kessler, a Matt Lauer/Charlie Rose-type morning tv anchor caught up in a #MeToo scandal, Jennifer Aniston as Alex Levy, Kessler’s co-anchor who is trying to seize control of the show while the network attempts to push her out in his absence, and Reese Witherspoon as Bradley Jackson, a feisty up and coming reporter on a local network who ends up in Kessler’s seat by the end of the first three episodes.

Story - Bradley - Journey - Co-anchor - Begins

The improbable story of Bradley’s journey to co-anchor begins with – what else – a liberal spiel, in episode 1 “In the Dark Night of the Soul It's Always 3:30 in the Morning.”

Bradley, who supposedly works at a conservative station, is about to interview people on both sides of a protest at a local coal mine when a scuffle erupts, her camera man is knocked to the ground and she’s called a “fake news ****.” Her outrage against the presumably pro-coal protester at fault inspires an anti-coal rant that has the mine protester she’s supposed to impartially interview nodding.

Alan - Okay - Bradley - Jenna - McIntire

Alan: Okay, Bradley, this is Jenna McIntire - she's protesting mines. This is Bob Stephens. His family's been in the mining business for generations.

Bradley: All right. I got it. I'm gonna need a wide shot, okay? And then we'll go on three and two, one. Hey! You okay, Joe? Hey! What are you doing?

Man - News - ****

Man: Let go of me, fake news ****!

Bradley: What?

Man

Man:...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!