CNN's Jeff Zucker Says He's Interested in Hiring Former Fox News Host Shepard Smith

The Hollywood Reporter | 10/31/2019 | Jeremy Barr
ashb0101ashb0101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2019/03/jeff_zucker_-_h_-_2019.jpg

"When he's available, he is somebody who is very talented, and I would be very open to talking to him," the network president said.

CNN president Jeff Zucker suggested that he's interested in hiring former Fox News anchor Shepard Smith when he's able to join a new company.

Smith - Network - Oct - Nature - Contract

Smith abruptly departed the network on Oct. 11, and, due to the nature of his contract, won't immediately be able to take a new job.

"I think Shep's a great journalist," Zucker said Thursday at the network's Citizen conference in New York. "When he's available, he is somebody who is very talented, and I would be very open to talking to him."

Onstage - Interview - Zucker - CNN - Media

During an onstage interview, Zucker pushed back on CNN chief media correspondent Brian Stelter's contention that Fox News employs a lot of great journalists.

"You repeat that line a lot, and it's one of the mistakes I think you make in your journalism," the exec said.

Notion - Fox - News - News - Opinion

He also pushed back on the notion that Fox News has separate news and opinion wings: "There is no difference. I don't see it that way. I think you're wrong. … It's completely erroneous."

Zucker, who has previously called Fox News "state-run television," said the rival network is "not a journalistic organization."

WarnerMedia - Executive - Network - Practice - Contributors

The WarnerMedia executive also defended his network's long-standing practice of hiring pro-Trump contributors to defend the president's position.

"It's my belief that we should represent those out there who support Trump, what they think," said Zucker. "It is hard to find people who will come on and support the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Hollywood Reporter
Wake Up To Breaking News!