US Army warns that access to drinking water for soldiers will be major concern in future conflicts

Mail Online | 2/28/2020 | Michael Thomsen For Dailymail.com
chrismpottschrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/24/20/20148666-0-image-a-29_1571947063068.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/06/05/1432174694237319763/1024x576_MP4_1432174694237319763.mp4

The US Army has released a wide-ranging new study examining the threats climate change poses to the military.

The changing climate will pose an immediate challenge for soldiers as the Army expects rising temperatures will add to the hydration requirements necessary for supporting soldiers in conflict zones.

Report - Vice - Water - Intrusion - Areas

The report, which was picked up by Vice, says ‘salt water intrusion’ in coastal areas due to rising sea levels will eliminate sources of fresh water in many parts of the world, meaning soldiers will have to carry more water with them.

‘This significant logistical burden will be exacerbated on a future battlefield that requires constant movement due to the ubiquity of adversarial sensors and their deep strike capabilities,’ the report says.

Report - Temperatures - Studies - NASA - Berkeley

The report acknowledges climate often leads to ‘rancorous and politically charged’ rhetoric, but accepts that global temperatures have been rising, citing studies from NASA, Berkeley Earth, Japanese Meteorological Agency, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the UK’s Met Office Hadley Centre.

Because of climate change, one-third of the world population will by 2030 inhabit areas where water deficiency levels are greater than 50 percent, the report says.

People - Water - Water - Worldwide

By 2040, more people will need fresh water than there will be available fresh water worldwide.

Rising sea levels will have an effect on future water shortages, causing salt water intrusion in coastal areas.

Water - Stores - Aquifers - Sea - Levels

As fresh water stores in underground aquifers are depleted and sea levels rise, salt water is drawn into the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep