Are Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola Right About Marvel? (Column)

Variety | 10/23/2019 | Owen Gleiberman
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/martin-scorsese-avengers.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

If you want to shoot holes in the comments that Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola made recently about Marvel movies (Scorsese: “That’s not cinema”; Coppola: “Martin was being kind when he said it wasn’t cinema. He didn’t say it was despicable, which is what I say”), then go right ahead, because they’ve practically handed you the gun and the bullets. The most obvious bullet is the one that automatically damns you in this day and age: These guys are old (Scorsese is about to turn 77, Coppola is now 80), and you could argue that their grand objection to the blockbuster films of today boils down to the fact that the world is no longer the world they grew up in, or the one that existed when they were at their creative apex as filmmakers, so they’re unhappy about it.

The whole “It’s not the way it was in the good old days!” song and dance, which I’m personally quite familiar with (since my set-in-his-ways father did it every day), is one that we tend to think of as just another cranky version of “Get off my lawn!” And the public discourse today overflows with it. America, in case you hadn’t heard, is going down the drain, and it’s all the fault of … the millennials! The Trump voters! The corporations who control everything! The Internet! The fake news! The video games! The greedy corrupt Hollywood that elevated fantasy over reality! Please, God, bring it back to the way it used to be!

Condemnation - Scorsese - Marvel - Crusade - Media

Much of the knee-jerk condemnation of the Scorsese v Marvel crusade, as expressed on social media, has come down to a visceral rejection of the-damning-of-the-new-by-those-who-are-old. It’s worth noting that this is a variation on the kind of cross-generational skirmish that’s gone on since the beginning of time. Society,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!