Shame and Power

Jesus Creed | 10/23/2019 | Staff
Refel_4309 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2019/10/KE-Headshot-2-194x300.jpg

Growing up, I was almost always a compliant child in school. Very rarely did I get in trouble. I remember one of the only days in Kindergarten that I had to pull a popsicle stick for whispering something to my neighbor during the instruction time. I can still recall the heavy dark cloud of shame that washed over me, head to toe, as I walked to the front of the classroom to pull the treasured popsicle stick. I vowed then and there to do everything in my power to never feel this way again. In my adult life, I had to learn a new set of rules in order to keep me from experiencing this shame again. I have been shamed for breaking adult rules too. Many years ago, I got in “trouble” because I publicly referred to myself as a preacher. In this particular context that I was in, women were not allowed to preach. This was breaking the rules. As in my childhood, this “mistake” caused me to experience a heavy dark cloud of shame. And the shame led me, this time, to stop calling myself a preacher for many years.

Removed from the situation and looking back on it now, this is a moment of deep regret for me, both as a woman and as a preacher. This memory stings fresh and tender in light of John MacArthur and his buddies verbally abusing and belittling Beth Moore. I will not link the hate speech here as it does not deserve one more second of attention. John MacArthur is a bully. He is not a scholar. He is afraid and this makes him behave in hateful ways.

Beth - Moore - Women - Preachers - Beth

He is afraid of Beth Moore and the “women preachers” that she represents, and he should be. Beth Moore is not “going home,”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: