Andrew Peterson on Why Artists Aren’t Better Than Everyone Else

The Gospel Coalition | 10/23/2019 | Ivan Mesa,Andrew Peterson
PaMe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/21105642/Andrew-Peterson-5-ph-cr-Giles-Clement.jpg

For decades now, Andrew Peterson has combined the rare ability to write moving music that is at once thoroughly steeped in Scripture, personally honest with the weakness and sin that plague us all, and in awe of the gift we have in Christ. I can’t listen to Peterson’s music and not be freshly amazed that Jesus loves me—that even amid suffering, doubt, and sin, I’m part of a redeemed people who belong to him by faith, and he we will bring us home. If you’re unfamiliar with Peterson’s music, just take a listen to “Is He Worthy?” to get a sense of this:

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Behold the Lamb of God tour—where the redemptive storyline of Scripture, from the promise of a deliverer to the coming of Jesus, is set to music. Trevin Wax calls it Peterson’s “masterpiece,” which isn’t exaggeration, since for 20 years now thousands of people have made the concert tour part of their Advent ritual. And to mark this anniversary, Peterson will release a new recording of Behold the Lamb of God on October 25.

Peterson - Book - Dark - Thoughts - Community

In Peterson’s newest and first non-fiction book, Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making (B&H), he reflects on his life making music, the community that has nourished art, the nuts and bolts of writing, and more. In this memoir of sorts, we see Peterson at his vulnerable best—honest with his shortcomings and anchored to the good news that the gospel of Christ is really true.

I corresponded with Peterson about how we’re all creative, the most helpful writing advice he’s received, what he wishes every Christian knew about artists, how the annual Behold of Lamb of God tour has affected him, and more.

Christian

You argue that every Christian is a creative, not just those who...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!