CBS Pokes Bret Baier on Shep Smith Leaving: A Truth Problem at Fox?

NewsBusters | 10/22/2019 | Staff
vpp1219 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/cbsbaier_0.jpg

Gayle King and the journalists at CBS This Morning on Tuesday grilled Fox News anchor Bret Baier about the departure of Shepard Smith from the network, baiting him to divine what exactly Smith meant when he said that the “truth will always matter.”

Appearing to talk about his latest historical book, co-host Tony Dokoupil highlighted, “I think it surprised a lot of people at the network. [Smith] said in his closing remarks, ‘The truth will always matter.’ What was your reaction?”

Knock - Fox - News - King - Shep

After failing to get an appropriate knock on Fox News, King demanded, “But I want to go back to Shep for a second. To Tony’s point, when he said the truth will always matter, that seemed to be taking a dig at your network. Was it interpreted as such inside the building?”

Now, holding one journalist to account for the comments of another isn’t a common thing for the hosts of CBS This Morning. On October 14, the journalists talked to Ronan Farrow about his accusations that NBC buried the effort to investigate Matt Lauer.

Farrow - Ax

King suggested Farrow might have an “ax to grind.”

The bulk of the book is about your efforts to tell the Harvey Weinstein story and in the end NBC killed the story saying it didn't reach their level of journalism. How do we know that this is not just — they're saying it's an axe to grind on your part.

Networks - Truth - May - Charlie - Rose

Speaking of networks and truth, on May 3, 2018, after the Charlie Rose sex abuse scandal surfaced, King whined on-air about having to cover her ex-co-host: “I don't know what to say about this.... I don't know what more we can do to Charlie Rose except a public flogging. He's gone.... I’m sick of handling it.” After a public outcry, she retreated.

GAYLE KING: You...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...