Letters Appear, as if By Magic

Blog & Mablog | 10/22/2019 | Staff
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3

Thank you for faithfully pointing us to God’s design as revealed through His word.

Within your October 21st response to Rachel Miller, in your 8th paragraph, you wrote:

Identity - Christ - Identity - Nationality - Ancestry

“If my fundamental identity is to be found in Christ, which it is, then I must accept that fundamental identity. I must receive it. And what I am—my nationality, my ancestry, my sex—are all part of the I that must accept that identity. And when we surrender to Christ as our ultimate reality, the things that describe us, such as our sex, are not zeroed out. Rather they are surrendered, and then glorified. Redeemed men and women will be men and women, respectively, forever.”

Most human beings, professing Christians included, are preoccupied with their self-defined identity. Christians honor God by enjoying the differences He created among us, and Christians sin against Him by elevating any part of our identity above our union with Christ. Some elements of our created identity, like our bodies, will endure through eternity even as they will be perfectly changed. Meanwhile, some elements of earthly identity will not (e.g. I won’t remain married to my wife in heaven). Somewhere in between ends of that spectrum, I think, we would find factors like ethnicity, nationality and all of our personal preferences. You said that “Redeemed men and redeemed women will be men and women, respectively, forever.” What more can you say about how we ought to rightly weight facets of identity, particularly elements that will endure eternally vs. others that perhaps won’t, in light of our fundamental identity in Christ?

November

Looking forward to November.

Alec, as John says, it does not yet appear what we shall be. And so the thing we must do is prioritize in accordance with the law of God. A good reputation is to be preferred over riches, a peaceful...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Blog & Mablog
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: