7 Everyday Tensions Every Leader Faces

Ron Edmondson | 10/22/2019 | Ron Edmondson
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://ronedmondson.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_2393.jpg

Being a leader isn’t easy. With every decision a leader makes someone is happy – and someone is not. One often misunderstood reason leadership is challenging is the tension every leader feels when making decisions.

And every leader experiences some of this tension – every single day.

Fact - Tensions - Leadership - Level - Success

In fact, learning to balance the tensions of leadership may determine the level of success a leader can sustain. If a leader leans too far one direction – their leadership effectiveness suffers.

Let me share some examples of these everyday type leadership tensions.

Tensions - Leader

Here are 7 everyday tensions of every leader:

Displaying confidence without being arrogant.

People - Leader - Pride - Trait - Tension

People want to follow a confident leader, but pride is a repulsive trait. I feel this tension especially when I’m leading on a new team or with new people on the team. With several decades of being a senior leader, I’ve learned a few things. I need them to understand there are reasons for them to follow my leadership, but I shouldn’t unpack my resume for them immediately either.

Making bold decisions while building collaboration.

Meeting - Team - Room - Opinion - Times

This one I experience most every meeting we have as a team. I can almost always sense the room waiting for my opinion. Many times I realize we won’t move forward until I weigh in to the matter. But good leadership involves collaboration. I’m not the only voice – and many times not the smartest voice in the process. If I have the only answer no one will participate, but if I never have any answers no one will want to follow my leadership.

Showing strength while displaying compassion.

People - Leadership - Individuals - Compassion - Leadership

People want to follow leadership who generally care for them as individuals. Compassion for those who can’t help themselves is an attractive leadership quality. The best leaders I know have a concern for others. But no one wants compassion to be translated as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ron Edmondson
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: