Sanders: 'Outrageous' to suggest Gabbard 'is a foreign asset'

TheHill | 10/21/2019 | John Bowden
applekip (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thehill.com/sites/default/files/gabbardtulsi_051519gn_lead.jpg

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) lashed out Monday at critics of fellow 2020 presidential hopeful Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) including Hillary Clinton, after Clinton and others suggested that Gabbard is a "foreign asset" for Russia amid reports that Moscow's online bots and trolls are supporting her campaign.

In a tweet, the Vermont senator and runner-up for the 2016 Democratic nomination called such accusations "outrageous," pointing Gabbard's background as a military veteran.

Sanders - Comments - Clinton - Podcast - Thursday

Sanders's comments come after Clinton said during a podcast on Thursday that she believes Moscow is "grooming" a candidate, clearly referring to Gabbard, to run as a third-party candidate and split the Democratic vote in 2020.

"I'm not making any predictions, but I think they've got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said.

Reporters - Clinton - Gabbard - Spokesman - Nesting

Asked later by reporters if Clinton was referring to Gabbard, her spokesman responded: "If the nesting doll fits."

Gabbard later responded...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TheHill
Wake Up To Breaking News!