Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg confirms he and his wife recommended colleagues to Pete Buttigieg

www.cbsnews.com | 10/21/2019 | Staff
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2019/09/09/4f9f2afe-e97a-436e-8ddf-0dc3246f9cbe/thumbnail/1200x630g2/25c89e0cc5ce0a731c2c6a25be5a9b7a/gettyimages-961727222.jpg

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg confirmed to CBS News on Monday that he and his wife recommended earlier this year that the presidential campaign of Pete Buttigieg hire two of their colleagues.

Zuckerberg confirmed the outreach in response to a question from CBS News during a conference call with reporters about changes Facebook is making to bolster the platform's election security.

Endorsement - Friends - College - Years - Candidate

"This shouldn't be taken as an endorsement. We have several mutual friends in college who introduced me" several years ago to the future presidential candidate, Zuckerberg said.

Pete Buttigieg More

Number - Colleagues - Facebook - Foundation - Wife

"When a number of colleagues who I'd worked with at Facebook or my philanthropic foundation were interested in working there, they asked me or my wife Priscilla to send over their resume. So I did that. I think that this probably should not be misconstrued as if I'm deeply involved in trying to support their campaign or anything like that," Zuckerberg added.

Zuckerberg also had been asked by CBS News whether he made similar overtures to other presidential campaigns, but he did not answer that question.

News - Zuckerberg - Outreach - Buttigieg - Monday

News of Zuckerberg's outreach to Buttigieg was first reported Monday by Bloomberg News, which reported that Zuckerberg, 35, and Buttigieg, 37, attended Harvard University at the same time and had mutual friends. While at Harvard, Zuckerberg developed the now omnipresent social media platform, originally just for Harvard students. Buttigieg was one of Facebook's first 300 users.

But the tech executive and South Bend, Indiana mayor were not introduced until just a few years ago. Earlier this year, Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, recommended Eric Mayefsky and Nina Wornoff to Buttigieg campaign manager Mike Schmuhl via email around April and May. A campaign spokesperson said the email correspondence between the two parties ended in May.

Mayefsky - Analytics - Adviser - Nina - Wornhoff

Mayefsky is a senior digital analytics adviser and Nina Wornhoff is an organizing data manager. Both...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.cbsnews.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .