What Should We Make of Kanye West’s Christianity?

Juicy Ecumenism | 10/21/2019 | Chelsen Vicari
Refel_4309 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://juicyecumenism.com/wp-content/uploads/Kanye_West_Lollapalooza_Chile_2011_1.jpg

Hip Hop artist Kanye West declared himself a born-again Christian while visiting Washington, D.C. on October 12. “I’m not here for your entertainment,” West said during Howard University’s Homecoming. “We’re here to spread the Gospel.”

In a video published by the entertainment site TMZ, West is heard directing the audience’s attention to Phillippians 2 before adding, “Excuse me if I mispronounce anything, I’m a recent convert. Means I recently got saved within this year.” One clip shows West reading Ephesians 4:9 and in another, he is heard discussing Mark 1:15, which he called one of his favorites verses.

Readers - Kanye - West - Music - Kanye

I would imagine that not many of our readers listen to Kanye West’s music. To be frank, I’m not hip enough to write much about Kanye West. I’m the mom of two babies. My car stereo blasts “Wheels on the Bus” on repeat. And, I don’t know about you, but I tend to be skeptical whenever I hear celebrities talking about Jesus.

Still, I’ve thought about how the clips of West at Howard University certainly sound different from other celebrities who thank God in one breath and mock Him the next. There is an excitement, awe, and wonder in his voice familiar in new saints who’ve just met their Savior personally. “On fire for God,” is a term we Charismatics might use and I find myself excited for him.

Sort - Publicity - Stunt - Ruse - Leaders

Maybe this is some sort of publicity stunt. If so, it’s a pretty convincing ruse detailed down to the spiritual leaders surrounding the hip hop artist and his most recent professional and personal transformations.

Who is influencing Kanye?

Year - West - Sunday - Services - Type

This year, West began what he calls “Sunday Services,” a type of worship gathering with a choir belting out Gospel music and Christianized popular songs at his home in Los Angeles. These events began as private, invite-only events that have expanded...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Juicy Ecumenism
Wake Up To Breaking News!