The Future of Gen Ed: Recap, Part 3

kims (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/719/2019/04/IMG_3394.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/719/2019/04/IMG_3394-768x576.jpg

Here is part 3 of my recap. Let me start with a few news items that relate to the liberal arts and other such matters connected with general education and core curriculum. First, in “Explaining the Value of the Liberal Arts,” AAC&U President Lynn Pasquerella (who also spoke at the day workshop in Washington, DC) says:

Our nation’s historic mission was one of educating for democracy, and we now have an increasing economic—and therefore, racial—segregation in higher education and in our society that is creating what Thomas Jefferson referred to as an “unnatural aristocracy,” where only the richest and most privileged have access to the types of institutions that will allow them to gain economic advancement.

Podcast

You can listen to the podcast here:

She also wrote another article emphasizing the value of liberal arts degrees from the perspective employers. The president and dean from Rochester Institute of Technology emphasized the importance of being educated in ways that typify those with a liberal arts education irrespective of major.

Talk - Salve - Regina - Importance - Arts

A talk at Salve Regina emphasized the importance of the liberal arts and their integration with professional education in solving global problems. An article in the Chronicle looked at the role of liberal education in relation to gender equity in Asia, while another asked who decides what is good in the humanities. Other articles elsewhere looked at commitment to liberal arts education as the job market changes, and students beginning serious research in their first year.

Inside Higher Ed explored how higher ed is and is not changing, and Columbia’s revisions to its core curriculum.

Recap - Session - Title - Does - Diversity

Now, on with the recap. I was particularly excited when I saw that there was a session with the title “Does Diversity Need to Be a Requirement?” It was a bit late to be asking that from the perspective of my work at Butler...
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: