‘Cyrano, My Love’: Is A Delightful Look At The Creation Of A Classic [Review]

The Playlist | 10/20/2019 | Asher Luberto
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/cyrano-my-love.jpg

When “Cyrano De Bergerac” first appeared on the stage in Paris, it seemed like a gift from God in an era of canting comedies. Who could have guessed that this failed playwright could write an overnight success literally overnight? No one, apparently. In 19th century Paris, people mocked Edmond Rostand for performing poetry. “Write a comedy!” they told him. And so he did. The journey that follows his path to writing high-brow humor, “Cyrano, My Love,” seems like a gift from God in an era of standard-issue biopics. Alexis Michalik’s feature debut has the heart of a play, the eyes of a comedy and the nose of a poet.

Everyone remembers the nose. Cyrano was one of the most romantic swashbucklers since Shakespeare, with a mouth that could woo any lady. Navigating around that giant nose to get to his mouth, however, was a journey no woman was willing to take. So, he started writing in passionate torrents for his best friend and romantic rival. The letters worked! His pal got the girl and he got loneliness till death (what poet doesn’t?). Things work out better for Edmond himself. Even though his first play is a flop, he goes home to a loving wife (Alice de Lencquesaing) and kids. And he lives in France. With its cobblestone streets, charming cafes and whirling skirts, the country is a playground for aspiring artists, even if the period detail could have used a little more color (like Renoir’s “French Cancan”).

Color - Characters - Michalik - Characters - Entertainment

What it lacks in color it makes up for in colorful characters. Michalik has written his characters for entertainment, so they land closer to imagination than real life. Thomas Soliveres plays Edmond. In the first act, his world is falling apart. He doesn’t have any money; his play bombs; every time he kisses his wife...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!