Two Evangelists’ Farewell to God

Jesus Creed | 10/21/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-11.jpg

“Suddenly from head to foot, Robert was shaken with what seemed like a magnetic thrill of heavenly delight and floods of glory seemed to pour through him, soul and body.” Hannah wanted the same experience and later during a revival meeting went down to the altar, armed with handkerchiefs, thinking she would be overcome with weeping. Nothing happened. By her own account, she remained “a dry old stick” Both were evangelists: Robert Pearshall Smith walked away from faith; Hannah Whitehall Smith did not. I tell their story in chapter 3 of Walking Away from Faith.

Chapter 2 is titled “A Tale of Two Evangelists: Billy and Chuck.” Billy Graham tells how his uncertainty in becoming a evangelist “came to a climax” on a moonlit night at a retreat center in the San Bernardino Mountains. There he gripped his Bible and prayed: “Father, I am going to accept this as Thy Word—by faith—faith to go beyond my intellectual questions and doubts.” His good friend and fellow evangelist Chuck Templeton had said to Billy: “You can’t do that. You don’t dare stop thinking about the most important question in life. Do it and you begin to die. It’s intellectual suicide.” Chuck went on to study at Princeton and later walked away from faith.

Chuck - Pastor - Evangelist - Toronto - Billy

Chuck was a pastor and evangelist from Toronto, who worked with Billy in Youth For Christ, a movement that grew rapidly after World War II. When the YFC evangelistic team flew from Chicago to Europe and the British Isles, photographers captured the handsome young men and their cheering fans. “No building was large enough,” writes Chuck in Farewell to God, “to house the youngsters who flocked to the meetings.” It was a heady time. They soon went their separate ways, however, Billy preaching in large stadiums, Chuck picking up the slack...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!