Should Stay-at-Home Moms Take a Day Off?

Desiring God | 10/21/2019 | John Piper
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/should-stay-at-home-moms-take-a-day-off-55gvqm0z-en/landscape/should-stay-at-home-moms-take-a-day-off-55gvqm0z-5cfd80fd560e31c6719e38f7def97aa9.jpg?ts=1569988059&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

I don’t know when you listeners will hear this episode, but it’s initially launching online on a Monday, which is commonly a day for pastors to take off. A stay-at-home mom writes in: “Hello, Pastor John! I’m a stay-at-home mom to three darling daughters under five and also a pastor’s wife. Like most pastors, my husband takes Mondays off to recharge. But I find there is never a day I can take off from laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc. The work never ends for me, and I find this to be a challenge for a lot of moms who are feeling burned out. Without questioning the value of our husbands’ day off, should moms get a day off too? Should we try? Or is this a selfish request?”

Whether it’s a selfish request, I can’t tell, because I don’t know your heart; God does. But it certainly doesn’t have to be a selfish request, and I don’t assume it is. It may be the same as the question that my wife and I posed at church, and with the staff, and at home during my pastorate over and over: How do we find, how does the staff find, how do we as a couple find the pace to finish the race? That’s the way we put it. The marriage race, the parenting race, they are marathons, not hundred-meter dashes.

Noël - Marriage - Marathon - Years - December

Noël and I have been running the marriage marathon for 50 years as of last December. And the parenting marathon we’ve been running for 47 years. And believe me, you still run the parenting marathon after your kids are grown and you’ve got 14 grandkids. And we ran the pastoring marathon for 33 years.

So, the question for all of us moms, single moms, husbands, single dads is: How do you find the pace to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: