Performer of the Week: Edi Patterson

TVLine | 10/19/2019 | Team TVLine
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/edi-patterson.png?w=621

THE PERFORMANCE | Patterson arrived on our radar three years ago via her brilliantly wackadoodle role as Danny McBride’s unhinged girlfriend/stalker on HBO’s Vice Principals. Turns out that performance was a mere warmup for her star turn to come as the hilariously demented Judy Gemstone on McBride’s latest HBO undertaking. And Patterson saved the best for last, delivering an epic monologue in Sunday’s Gemstones finale that served as the quintessential crazy coda for the character’s bonkers first season.

The three-minute tour-de-force — which you can watch over and over again above (you’re welcome!) — finds Patterson confessing to estranged and deeply naive fiance BJ (the brilliantly restrained Tim Baltz) that, despite her self-professed reputation as a man-eater, she was only with one other guy: her much older economics professor Dr. Warren Carmichael. Judy then proceeds to rehash for her current love the origin story of her first love, and Patterson delivers every hilariously demented and raunchy detail of the toxic romance with such counterintuitive earnestness and solemnity that all you can do is marvel at the comedic artistry of it all. And, of course, laugh.

NSFW - Catharsis - Weight - Judy - Behavior

And as the NSFW catharsis grows more convoluted and as the full weight of Judy’s behavior becomes frighteningly clear (sample line: “He did a restraining order on me so I bought him a Jeep Grand Cherokee to prove I loved him”), Patterson’s commitment to presenting what on paper reads like a madwoman’s interrogation-room confession as a heartbreaking sob story where she is the victim never wavers. Not even when Judy, in the monologue’s climax, reveals that she went so far as to kidnap her boyfriend’s son, Laird.

“But then the police showed up and they tackled me — and they took away Laird,” Judy wails, Patterson’s cracking voice amplifying her alter ego’s lament that she is the wronged...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!