‘Kill Chain’, Starring Nicolas Cage, Is about a Chain of Killings and Nicolas Cage | Review

Collider | 10/18/2019 | Chester C. Jones
Click For Photo: https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/kill-chain-nicolas-cage-3.jpg

I am certain only of three facts about this thing after watching it, and they’re the same three facts I was certain of before I watched it: 1) It’s a movie. 2) Its title is Kill Chain. 3) Nicolas Cage is at it again, this time starring as a mercenary-turned-hotel owner named Araña (Spanish for “spider”) in one of those performances that will make you scratch your head until your face looks like this.

As far as I can tell there has apparently been literally zero promotion for its October 18 release on Amazon Prime. In fact, just about the thing ever written about Kill Chain is a brief item in The Hollywood Reporter’s 2018 coverage of Cannes at which it was announced Cage would star in the thriller described then as “in the vein of the ‘greatest detective noirs films.’ It follows three strangers’ lives as they inevitably become entangled in a conflict none of them are prepared for.”

Way - End - Product - Take - Installment

Well, that’s one way of putting it, and a rather cogent one given the end product. A more optimistic take, perhaps, would be to consider this the next installment in Cage’s ongoing meta-performance art cycle that is seriously giving Matthew Barney a run for his money.

It begins with a moody plod through an industrial zone situated in an unnamed Latin American locale (it appears to have been shot in Colombia). Two tough guys in leather jackets exit a car, sneering around before entering the rundown Hotel Franco, which appears to be empty.

Surprise - Woman - Pistol - Peers - Reception

But surprise! A blood-splatted, half-dressed woman holding a pistol peers down at reception, where the tough guys are lingering. Cage’s Araña broods around in the back of the building and checks his revolver. Araña approaches the tough guys with his best “Aw shucks, I’m just a hotel clerk dudes,” impression.

But first,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Satan's greatest desire is to convince the world he doesn't exist, and he has quite nearly succeeded.
Tagged: